Thursday, October 23, 2008

Birthday!



Joyce survived another birthday!  It's never been my favorite day, but this one was memorable, to say the least.  Jenny had informed the world that her already old mother, was going to turn a year older on the 21st.  You get to this point, and it seems like it would be nice to just coast past the day, without too much notice, but that was not to be the case this year.  She had asked a number of people to email me, to let me know that they were sympathetic, happy, understanding, thinking about how old I was, whatever!  I received close to 85 emails, and a few late ones are still coming in.  What fun it has been!  I was up at 3:00a.m. and went to the computer, and started reading emails.  I've never had such a nice night awake!  The real day began at 7:00 a.m. with the children putting signs all over our door, knocking loudly, and singing happy birthday at every opportunity.  They had wrapped all sorts of little packages, with toys from somewhere, made beautiful pictures, written cards in their best English, and found all kinds of reasons to be in our house with us, watching each new thing that arrived from someone.  One of the teachers gave me a beautiful blessing (Hindu or Christian?), everyone wanted to shake my hand (very traditional), and the traditional wish of "many happy returns of the day" was uttered all day long.  Never have I had more hugs and kisses.  The cook had made several delicious dishes and invited us for a special birthday lunch. Ron gave me a pretty gold necklace and earrings, and the women have been especially pleased with that, as it signifies that I am a married woman.  They all wear a gold chain that rests inside their saris or clothing, and I think they have been worried about me not having one.  Anyway, I do now.  Memorable day--a never to be forgotten birthday in India.

Our daughter sent me some of her thoughts on India, after her visit, that I wanted to share. Some of it was a bit effusive about her mother and father, so I have edited out a little, and some I have left.  Just remember, these comments come from a loving daughter who always says only the best!  Once again, I reiterate what a joy it was to have her here.  She wrote this as a letter to someone, and copied me on it.

"India was wonderful and horrible all at the same time.  It was great to be with my parents.  They both look great, their skin looks so good and they have a glow about them  Probably because everyone sweats 24/7 there due to the heat and humidity.  They feel good and they are happy.  It was a relief to see them doing so well, thriving in fact.  And this despite the very difficult living conditions they are in.  India is not for the weak stomached or faint of heart.  It is taxing on every level.  Nothing works well.  Most things don't work at all.  It is frustrating for them but they are learning new depths of patience.  The school and the children are a beautiful oasis in a country that is indescribably poor.  Living conditions for the majority of the population are beyond anything I could have imagined.  I have seen awful in Africa and parts of Mexico but that was nothing compared to this.  It is just so expansive in India... there is no end to it.  This was the horrible part of India.  After a week at Rising Star Outreach, Ann Tempest and I flew to Delhi for a few days.  We took a 5 hour car ride to the city of Agra where we visited the Taj Mahal.  The Taj exceeded my expectations.  It is magnificent.  I was so glad to see this wonder of the world, but the traveling was very difficult.  The roads in India are so dangerous.  There are no rules, or if there are any, no one follows them.  And then it is mile after mile of desperate poverty, filth, beggars, etc.  After a while I just had to close my eyes.  You just can't physically take it all in.  Needless to say, I was happy to get home.  The journey back was over 31 hours and by then I was quite ill with an intestinal bug.  I was pretty sick for 4 or 5 days.  Now that I am home and back into life, it's hard to believe I was really there.  While I was there, I was worried that would happen.  I don't want to forget the feelings I had there.  The work of Rising Star is miraculous.  The children have opportunities now that will change their lives and future generations.  The children are so beautiful.  They are happy and loving.  Joyce and Ron are Grandma and Grandpa to 171 students.  It is such a great thing.  What my parents are doing is incredible, admirable and inspiring.  They are giving so much but I know they are receiving much in return."  

Thank you Elizabeth.  She gives us way more credit than is due.

4 comments:

Goojah Mama said...

I loved this entry on your blog and the report on your birthday. You are truly loved and it shows by how many emails and greetings you received. I enjoyed reading Elizabeth's thoughts on her time there with you. You both are a tremendous example of love and service unmeasurable. Much love always!

Amy Antonelli said...

Joyce, this was such a beautiful entry. You deserved every second of that wonderful birthday. I only wish I could have been one of those hugs and kisses that day! I'm so grateful to know and love you. xoxo Amy

Shankar said...

Belated birthday wishes to you, Sis. Hanson! I'm sure you had a wonderful day. Well, now that I've caught up with your wonderful blog, I'm awaiting the next entry. I hope it's about Diwali.

Kels H.M. said...

I am so looking forward to joining you in India next year; it sounds like it will be one of the most awe inspiring and humbling experiences of my life. I love the pictures - your white pants look great! :D